Thursday, May 13, 2010

Edgar Allan Poe


I really enjoy reading Poe's works. I am not a big fan of poetry but I love reading his poems. I especially like the poem, "Annabel Lee." I always feel so sad when I read this poem. I can't help but think that it was written for his young wife that died. I have never been married but I can't imagine losing a spouse. The grief and pain that comes with it is unbearable. There are so many emotions that run through you as in the poem. There is blame that one has. In the poem Poe blames the "heavens". He claims that they were jealous of their happiness together and that they took her. He is a grief-stricken widow and sometimes it is good just to get your frustration out. Poe's poetry can still speak to us 150 years later and that is why they should be studied.


Here is a link to a great video of the poem, "Annabel Lee"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRhIJB6YD-4&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment