Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Washington Irving


I have to say, I wasn't too excited when I found out that we had to read Irving's "Rip Van Winkle." I was hoping we could read, "Sleepy Hollow" instead. But after reading this story again I gained a better understanding of it. I think part of the reason for it is because of the introductory biographical information provided at the beginning of each selection in our anthology.


As I was reading Rip Van Winkle I couldn't help but notice the similarities between Mr. Irving and Mr. Van Winkle. Irving was engaged to be married to Matilda but she died. I am sure that Irving was very sadden and grief stricken by her death. Van Winkle slept for 20 years than woke up to find out that his wife died. He was happy because he was relieved of the burden of raising a family. He was free to pursue whatever he wanted. Since Matilda died Irving was relieved of the responsibility of becoming a judge, as Matilda's father was and he was expected to also become one. He was also free to pursue whatever he wanted. The introductory biography said that he was a life long bachelor. It also said that he was the first American to support himself fully on his writings. With a family Irving probably would not have been able to do this.


I think that by studying an author's life, one can gain better insight into the author's stories and works. I find the introductory biographies very helpful. Also through them I better understood the story we read for class and am glad that we were assigned to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment