Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nathaniel Hawthorne 3


Wow! What a conclusion to this romance. I was totally not expecting Dimesdale to die. I was really rooting that the three of them would spend the rest of their lives together. I was hoping for a fairytale ending. I guess that is how life is though; rarely does anything go the way it was planned. Sometimes life can be cruel.

Also, I guess I am a little confused on the moral of the story. Is it that when your sin gets found out to live as a "saint" the rest of your life? Is it not to hide your sin from others because it will only bring harm to yourself and might kill you? Is it about if you try to run away from the consequences of your sin, God is going to strike you down? I don't really know. Maybe my thoughts about what the moral is is all wrong. I do know that I really enjoyed the last 3/4 of the novel. I want to reread the novel now so I can pay more attention to the beginning details of the novel. Maybe that will help me understand what the significance of the morals of this romance are.

1 comment:

  1. How I understood it the moral of the story is to come clean when you do something wrong. Just be honest. Everyone makes mistakes and sins, even a Reverend. Don't lie. It just compounds the problem and you've just sinned again.

    ReplyDelete