Thursday, April 8, 2010

Nathaniel Hawthorne


I really enjoyed reading the first couple chapters of the Scarlet Letter. I had heard of the book but I never read it before. In High School other English classes had to read it but I never had to. Fellow students who were reading it told me how boring it was and how they could not understand Hawthorne. I completley disagree. He is not boring at all. He keeps the reader entertained the whole time, (except the Custom House introduction. I did find that boring). I also found him very easy to follow along with. I was able to comprehend what I was reading these first few pages. From this short first reading of this novel I now understand why it is considered one of the greatest American novels. I am excited for tomorow's class discussion and am interested in what others thought of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment